Final Cut Express

Morgan Dawn mdawn6 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 13:47:20 PDT 2003

Am just starting out on digital vidding (am using an
Emac with 512MB RAM, 800mhz processor and a 60MB HD).

A Mac World review of Final Cut Express said the
following about capturing and I wanted to know if this
would be a problem for HD space.

"Rough Edges

Final Cut Express suffers somewhat because it uses the
recut and abbreviated Final Cut Pro feature set. For
example, the lack of logging and batch processing
makes the capture process unnecessarily complicated:
you can set In and Out points to define a clip, but
then you have to capture that clip to disk before
moving on to the next one. We anticipate that most
people will be tempted to use the Capture Now button,
as they do iMovie's Import button, and to then enable
DV Start/Stop Detection to mark scene breaks in the
footage. These users could find themselves running out
of disk space faster than they expect to, because
Final Cut Express doesn't trim unused footage from
clips when you recapture a project."

http://www.macworld.com/2003/05/reviews/finalcutexpress1

The way I saw how to vid, you capture your clips with
a bit on each side and store them on the HD. Then as
you vid you insert your in and out points. But if I
read this  review corretcly, if you use that method
(capture, store, then edit), there should be no
increased use of  HD space under FCPro Express? My
editing projects usually involve assembling small
snippets of clips (under 1 min) in an MTV style montage.