[MacDV] Re: external Firewire drive recommendations?

Erica Sadun erica at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 20 13:09:19 PDT 2003

At 2:37 PM -0500 6/20/03, Michael Winter wrote:
>On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 01:23 PM, Tom Nugent Jr wrote:
>
>>What is the motivation to buy a case, unless you have an old drive
>>from an unused computer, and you still want to use the drive?
>>I mean, buying an external hard drive is cheaper than buying a case
>>and an internal drive, isn't it?
>
>Generally speaking, it works out to roughly the same price. IMO the
>$5-10 you might save isn't worth the hassle.

I've found that buying separately and putting them together
myself has saved me 30-50%. I don't know why there's a premium
on external hard drives, but that's what I've found.

I picked up several 911 cases from CompGeeks and excellent quality
Seagates from Dell (using the %-off and free shipping that
comes around about 1 week/month. Make sure to subscribe to
all their junk mail) and have been really happy with the results.

-- Erica, who's always checking around for sales on hard
drives, but who absolutely refuses to play the rebate game
(and much of the price-matching silliness that Anandtech and
FW do so often)