ntsc to pal conversion

Phil A. Lefebvre p-lefebvre at northwestern.edu
Sat Jun 21 19:05:20 PDT 2003

>Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:38:46 +0200
>From: thomas fritscher <tomfrit at gmx.at>
>
>i'm looking for a quality way to convert mini-dv ntsc footage to pal... is
>there anything similar for mac? anyone got any experiences or recomendations
>to share?

I used to convert NTSC to PAL and vice versa when exchanging video
with family overseas using my good ol' 8500. There is a shareware app
called Matt's Hack TV 2 that allows you to input one and output the
other in real time, using the built-in AV module of the 8500. It also
worked with the Capsure PC card (input) and S-video port (output) of
my PowerBook G3.

You can find 8500's for $50 or less on eBay, and Hack TV 2 is $10
shareware. IIRC, it should also work with 8100s, Quadra AVs, or any
other AV Mac. I never tried it with my ATi XClaim VR 128, but if it
worked with the Capsure, I would guess it would work with other 3rd
party cards. It doesn't need a lot of horsepower, since it just
passes video through.

Of course, you also need a PAL deck. I had one at work, and also used
my uncle's PAL 8mm camcorder when he was visiting us.

<http://www.warnertechnology.com/>