[MacDV] Re: G5

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Wed Jun 25 09:41:28 PDT 2003

Do you have sources for your comments?

> The 32-bit applications run natively on the G5 (faster) and recompiling
> 32-bit applications to be native 64-bit is a trivial process - I expect
> 64-bit versions will be FREE updates. (my speculation)

For some apps the 64-bit recompilation will be trivial, but the bigger ones
will probably still need major work to get things running optimally.

> Adobe said they would offer a Photoshop 64-bit update in August for the
> G5. They did not talk about pricing, but the implication was it will be
> just like any small update - FREE. I will be surprised if that is not
> the case since converting 32-bit applications to 64-bit requires very
> little work. One firm reported it took them 3 minutes to recompile
> their app from 32-bit to 64-bit mode in the keynote.

>From what I remember reading (don't remember where), Adobe said they would
release a Plug-in that would *optimize* performance on the G5, but not
necessarily that it would create a 64-bit version (not right away, anyway).
My *guess* is that Photoshop 8 will be able to run either 64-bit or 32-bit
natively (depending on the processor, of course), but the Plug-in "update"
for Photoshop 7 will optimize it for the G5 in 32-bit mode.

> Panther supports the 64-bit architecture of the G5. But each app must
> be recompiled into a 64-bit version to take full advantage of 64-bit
> architecture speed. but the G5 chip is so freaking fast even 32-bit
> apps will be screaming on it before they are compiled.

>From what I understand the G5 chip (PPC 970) supports 32-bit mode
*natively*, so there should not be any speed hit for 32-bit apps.

2 cents.

- Mark