[MacDV] Re: G5 - is it really that fast?

Heather Donahue maclists at sonic.net
Wed Jun 25 13:43:07 PDT 2003

On 6/25/03 1:09 PM, "Frank Flynn" <frank at declan.com> wrote:

> On 6/25/03 12:12 PM, "Macintosh Digital Video List"
> <MacDV at lists.themacintoshguy.com> wrote:
>
>> I read an article yesterday linked from MacNN about the G5 being not
>> that fast. According to the article (written by a Mac user), the
>> VeriTest used by Apple to compare speeds was manipulated a bit to
>> Apple's favor. Despite this, Apple still didn't win out in everything.
>> ...[snip]...  Anyone else see this and maybe have the link?
>
> Yes - the page I think you're referring to is:
>
> http://www.haxial.com/spls-soapbox/apple-powermac-G5/

I read his opinions but given his dislike of "Mac Zealots", his opinions are
more highly biased than Apple's G5 benchmarks.  While his facts may be in
order, his conclusions should be considered highly suspect.

Haxial is the same guy that develops some god-awful ugly and useless
software* for the Mac and PCs.  Do a search on VersionTracker for "Haxial"
and you'll see a few items he created.  He doesn't want to use any of the
Apple APIs and totally ignores the Apple HI guidelines.  It's his opinion
that his UI is better and that it is more cross-platform with the Windows
apps he develops.  None of his apps are so complicated that cross-platform
use would matter.

He _is_ a Mac user in the strict sense, he apparently owns one for
developing the software.  If you see his replies on VersionTracker about
negative comments posted with regard to his software, he hates "Mac
Zealots".  That's what he considers any Mac user that disagrees with his
opinions.

*In fairness, he gets praise from some people but there are so many Apple
features missing from his apps.  Many of the features Mac users expect
aren't implemented in his development because he would have to use the
proper APIs.