8mm Video, etc. to IDE Drive, MiniDV, DVCAM service available

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Wed Jun 25 14:19:29 PDT 2003

My facility offers 8mm video to hard disk (send tapes and an IDE drive)
via a time base corrected (TBC) playback system (huge improvement over
normal 8mm playback over any non TBC method) all integrated to DV codec
firewire. We do whole tapes only, and can also transfer simultaneously
to Mini DV as well as DVCAM. We always recommend DVCAM because of its
perfect audio sync, and that it will play back on most MiniDV systems.
DVCAM merely runs a bit faster, and as part of its spec, has audio
synced to picture.

MiniDV does not have synced audio, excepting certain rarities like the
Panasonic AG DVX100P Camera, which actually has circuitry (PLL) to
maintain pro level audio sync.

The worst offender as to audio sync is the Canon XL1, which uses a very
odd VBR audio as well as very peculiar video recording, a bane to
everything non Canon, and often, down to the specific XL1. These issues
caused our facility to sidegrade to components able to handle the mess
the XL1 represents. Unplayable video from an XL1? We can fix it, too.

The sync issue in Mini DV is the reason behind Final Cut's "Re-Sync
Movies over 5 minutes" feature. An XL1 can go SECONDS out of sync in an
hour.

Oddly, we also do 3/4 Umatic and 3/4 SP to DVCAM conversions.

Sorry to almost post an ad in this fashion, but we know the hassle of
this stuff all too well. We have an email: go2rba at mac.com for video
service queries. Everything is quoted at a job rate. If you need
piecemeal, "order off the menu" services, on the west coast, Lightning
Dubs does a good job with this kind of thing. I do not think they
digitize direct to hard disk, however.