[MacDV] Re: G5

Peter Tattersall ptatters at zerobyzero.ca
Wed Jun 25 19:42:35 PDT 2003

The keynote is available on the Apple site - go to the QuickTime
section. It's a two-hour streaming video, but you can move forward to
the second half of the video if you just want to check out the hardware.

The apps generally ran about twice as fast on the Mac Dual G5 as on the
Dell Duel Xeon. While it _may_ be that the examples were carefully
selected, it was a convincing demo in real world applications. As for
the benchmarks, they were paid for by Apple but were carried out by a
reputable third-party lab. The conditions were set up to exercise the
same software on each machine, using a compiler common to both
platforms.

The complaints generally were that
	1) since Apple paid for the tests, the testing wasn't unbiased (as
though Dell's tests would be). Apple published details on the test so
the biases could be evaluated. They obviously felt that this would
sidestep the issue of bias, but True Believers for both Mac and PC were
not swayed.
	2) the compiler on the Dell generate slow code, so it wasn't a fair
test (but then the test would have been a test of the hardware and the
software together - and the compiler on the Mac didn't generate the
fastest code either).
	3) even the benchmarks showed that the Mac was still slower than the
Dell in integer arithmetic, though it beat the Dell handily in floating
point. The claim was then made that integer arithmetic is more
important than floating point, so this shows the Dell is better. I
can't speak to that: I always used to prefer integer arithmetic when
doing graphics processing, but that was a long time ago, and I'm not
sure if that would be true today since I don't do that kind of work any
more {and when I did it, they were 8-bit micros!).

I'm more interested in the real-world implications of the G5 than the
benchmarks, so the application demos were more convincing. I'd like to
see FCP 4 running on a G5 with real-time edits.