Mac OS X Panther

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Jun 26 00:04:33 PDT 2003

> From: DBAFeldman at aol.com
> In a message dated 6/24/03 3:06:09 AM, beliefpictures at shaw.ca writes:
>
> <<
> Does anyone know if the upcoming Mac OS X 10.3 will run on a G3 Mac? >>
>
> I was told that it would run on a G3 Mac, specifically, on my 700mHz G3
> iBook.

Confirmation: a friend who is at the WWDC is running the Panther
preview on his 600MHz G3 iBook. He says that it also runs on the
non-Quartz Extreme-enabled iBooks as well. He couldn't say if it ran on
the 800x600 (ie clamshell) iBooks. He also says it's WAAAAAAAY quicker,
"snappier" at pretty much everything.

(am now chatting with him via iChatAV ... whee!)

Okay ... according to the "readme" that came with it, the Panther
preview will run on ANY iMac, eMac or iBook, and any G3 Powerbook with
*built-in* USB. The same restrictions as before apply (must be
installed in the first 8GB in an original iMac, can't use UFS if you
have a B&W G3 with a SCSI disk.

128MB RAM minimum, 2GB of disk space for the install (3.5GB if you add
dev tools). The final install for my developer friend took up only 1.3
GB (he omitted extra languages and printer drivers).

Gimp-Print is now an official (but optional) part of the install, as is
X11. Interesting.

> For example: a DV camcorder will not be recognized in iChat for video
> conferencing on a G3.

Some sites (like xlr8yourmac.com) have been reporting occasional
success in getting DV cams recognised on G3 computers, but it's spotty
and clearly not intended to be supported.

_Chas_

"With the introduction of the new iTunes Music Store, we've now built
the  first real complete ecosystem for the digital music age. We've got
a way to buy music online legally that's fantastic -- it's better than
any other way to acquire music. We've got a way manage music with the
iTunes  Jukebox, which is the best in the world. And we've got a way to
listen to music on the go with the iPod, which is the most popular MP3
player in the world and one of the coolest things in the world. So
we've really got, from one end to another, a complete solution for
digital music. We're the only people in the world to do this, so we
feel great about it." -- Steve Jobs, Time Magazine, 30-April-03