[MacDV] OT: G4 that boot into Mac OS 9 ?

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Thu Jun 26 09:23:39 PDT 2003

Look. Apple doesn't have some psychological warfare game against OS 9
laggards. They didn't stop allowing OS 9 booting because of some
conspiracy against those who dislike/are afraid of/misunderstand/can't
afford $69-$99 for OS X. It is a simple case of simplifying, optimizing
and supporting the ROMs in the newest Macs for OS X.

These "new" Macs are what's left of Apple's inventory of last year's
"old" MDD motherboards and "old" 1.25 GHz G4 processors with 2MB L3
caches each, which happen to allow native booting into OS 9 because of
their ROMs. The "new" dual 1.25 GHz G4 is not a pair of crippled 1.25
GHz processors from early 2003 with only 1 MB of L3 cache each. No.
These are the "old" 2002 1.25 GHz G4 processors with 2 MB of L3 cache
each in the "old" 2002 MDD motherboards WITHOUT a SuperDrive, a 40 GB
smaller HD and 256 MB less RAM. If you think those "deficiencies" are
worth the $800 difference between what the 2002 model was selling for a
month ago REFURBISHED, then I think you should wait until
October-November when you might be able to buy a G5 IF the advanced
sales cue has subsided by then.

Yes this computer runs OS 9 like a bat. No Apple is not "allowing" you
to boot natively into 9 now because "the coast is clear." These are
simply older motherboards from last year that happen to have that
capability. It's a fire sale on the most powerful G4 to ever boot into
OS 9 natively. Simple as that.

i predict these will all be sold before the end of July and Apple will
be facing the biggest drought of new PowerMacs not available for sale
in the company's history.

By the way, the single 1.25 GHz G4 model going for $1299 is the 2003
1.25 GHz G4 with ONLY 1 MB L3 cache - a far weaker machine for only
$300 less - not in my opinion worth the difference between it and the
dual model. IE a foolish choice when you can get radically more power
for only $300 more.