G5 Powerbook?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri Jun 27 23:00:06 PDT 2003

> From: Video International <videoint at jb3.so-net.ne.jp>
>
> Oooh scary thought! What would be a possible worst case scenario?
>
>> I guess the question is how long will they really decently support G4?

At the risk of sounding pedantic (oops, too late!), Apple never said
that the G5 was *not suitable* for Powerbooks, only that there was no
plans for a G5 Powerbook in the near future. And I expect they're right
-- the G5 chip used in the towers is obviously very hot (even if it
does use less actual electricity than the G4). A further refinement of
the G5 should produce a smaller, lighter, less-heat-intensive chip in
due course -- IBM's probably halfway to it already. I've heard
references to a "980" chip (as opposed to the G5 aka the PPC 970), but
I don't think that's it.

I suspect that in about six months they'll announce a "970+" chip
intended for notebooks, and about three to six months after THAT you'll
see it in the more expensive side of the Powerbook line. Pure
speculation, but that's MHO.

As for the question of how long Apple will "decently support" the G4, I
really think this is a non-issue. We've already established (or did we
on this list?) that Panther fully supports the same range of computers
as Jaguar did (so that includes almost all G3-based machines). I had a
friend who was at WWDC personally verify that even Expose works
properly without the need of Quartz Extreme or a G4, so I think we can
put that concern to bed for at least another 18 months or the NEXT
major upgrade beyond Panther, whichever comes first.

 From everything Apple's said so far, it seems likely that the G4 will
be with us in some Apple product or another for as long as the G3 has
been with us after the G4 was introduced.

_Chas_

James Lileks, on Apple's iMovie versus XP's Moviemaker:
"Was [my bro-in-law's] machine cheaper? Yes. But time is money; I've
never had to claw my way through the sodden mess of a corporate website
looking for the one driver that will let me do what I want to do. I've
never had to spend a Sunday afternoon trying to understand what iMovie
wants me to do, because it does what *I* want it to do. He said that
Moviemaker made him feel stupid, because he couldn't figure out the
simplest tasks.
I'll say this for his machine, though: if he ever wants to back up that
3.3 GB movie file on floppy disks, he's all set."