Final Cut Pro 4 Quirks and Caveats

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Fri Jun 27 23:31:42 PDT 2003

Well, after a week or so of using FCP4, I have noticed a few quirks...

1) FCP4 likes to gobble RAM, 1336 MB out of my 1500 MB.

2) Porting an FCP 3 project can produce glitches, particularly in
previously nested sequences or those with significant effects and
rendering. It seems porting a project with render files may NOT be the
best idea. Like me, you might end up having to trash your renders in
some cases, forcing a re-render, or worse, reworking a scene. It may
save headaches to just do a fresh render of a project within FCP4 at
the beginning of an edit.

3) FCP4 has crashed only once in a week, but with an interesting
pixelated flourish. However, given FCP3 never crashed in like fashion
(while tweaking filters) I would suggest setting the auto-save to five
or ten minutes rather than the default (30).

4) Firewire drives may not like significant daisy chaining. I have 9
ADS Pyro (Oxford 911) in three flavors daisy chained, primarily to add
another 500+ gigs to FCP4 for a feature edit. I've seen some odd
behavior in the chain resulting in insufficient speed for video
playback...  even after offlining the apparently offensive drives.

Well, that's enough for now. Will report on any new findings as they
happen. I will be completing a DVD via FCP4's Compressor tonight...

Richard Brown