[MacDV] Re: Digital VCR Question

List Account listmrr at snet.net
Sat Mar 1 10:55:38 PST 2003

Ed -

The EyeTV is a great unit for your everyday DVR needs. It's half the
cost of the Formac and much easier to use. It's better on disk space -
only 650MB (like a CD) for an hour. However - the quality for
reproduction (i.e. output as SVCD/DVD) definitely lies with the Formac
unit.

The EyeTV software allows you to perform simple edits - such as taking
out commercials or correcting beginning/ending points. If you require
more sophisticated editing - you will need to demux and convert the
audio/video. You need to use some shareware tools - and I haven't been
able to get the two streams in sync - so I just gave up on this... I
edit completely in EyeTV and output to VCD (seamless operation w/Toast)
- if I want to watch it on my player/TV. The quality is about the same
as recording on a VCR in EP mode. My family has never noticed the
difference...

El Gato is very quick on support - they really listen to their
customers. The software is being updated for more features - the edit
feature was added a couple of months ago - and they stay in sync with
Apple on OS updates.

Speaking of sync - both the Formac and EyeTV sometimes suffer from an
issue where the audio and video get a little out of sync. The only
low-cost unit that seems to avoid this is the Canopus ADVC-100 - but it
doesn't have a tuner. Some of the Formac boxes also have to be upgraded
(firmware and/or hardware) to work properly with iMovie 3 - so check to
be sure that you get a good one if you want to use iLife apps.

Later this year - El Gato will release higher quality capture box - and
Tivo will come out with a new unit supporting Rendezvous.

Hope this helps.

Marc


-- FWD from [MacDV] Michael Katzman --