Two problems with iMovie3

Karl Hayden khayden at iol.ie
Sun Mar 2 09:51:06 PST 2003

There are 2 problems with iMovie3 I have noticed.

Problem 1:
I have come across a problem when importing additional clips (camera
source: Canon XL1) This happens if you have imported clips then editied
those clips and then wish to import additional clips after the first
set have been editied.

What seems to happen is this. I have imported clips with a limited
amount of storage space on my computer. I fill the space that is
available (not to the very end) then edit the imported clips. When I
empty the trash of the unsed clips I import more of the clips to be
edited. As the new clips are imported they are given a clip number. the
new clip numbers begin at 1 then 2, then 3 and so on.

Later when I have edited all the clips (first set then second set) and
play back the edited film the following starts to happen...

When the playhead reaches a point where the clip being played repeats
the same clip number as an earlier one. The visual returns to the first
clip with that number, but the audio continues as the second clip with
that number. (sorry if this is confusing)

What I am trying to say is that any time you import new clips and there
are no clips in the 'clips pane' the new clips start loading again as
'clip 1' 'clip 2' 'clip 3' and so on. The playback seems to get
confussed reading the second set of clip numbers as the first.

What would solve the problem would be if any additional clip imports
continued being numbered from the last clip import. ie: if the first
set of clip imports were numbered 1 to 6 and the next set continued
with 7 and so on.

Problem 2:
I have also noticed that when you wish to drop in a clip over an audio
extract, a short burst of audio from the dropped-in clip bleeds into
the audio, it sounds something like a scratch on the audio track.

I have tried to oversize the clip, then extract the audio, then trim
off the start to avoid this, but no luck. Nothing I have been able to
do gets me over this problem. Any solutions would be welcomed.

My Equipment:
iMac SuperDrive 800mhz, 512Mb Ram
Canon XL1 camera

Thank you,