[MacDV] Hard drive for iBook video editing

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Mon Mar 3 12:37:43 PST 2003

Actually, in real world performance, the 5400 RPM drives aren't that
much faster than the 4200 RPM drives (according to benchmarks done and
reported on various web sites).

The problem with using FireWire drives for DV capture is not that the
drives themselves or the FireWire interface aren't fast enough, it's
that there's contention with the FireWire bus when transferring to/from
a FireWire camera on the same bus -- both devices *want* control, but
only one of them *gets* it.  If you had a PowerBook, you could probably
get a FireWire PC card, connect the drive to that and connect the
camera to the built-in FireWire port and be good to go.  This is just a
theory, though, and I don't know if this has actually been tried as a
work-around for this problem. (but doesn't it make sense that it would
work?)

Anyway, if you are doing video you definitely need a drive bigger than
20 GB.  So shop around, check out reviews and benchmarks and get the
biggest, fastest drive that will fit internally in your iBook.  And
while your at it, you should partition the new drive with a partition
completely dedicated to video -- System software and applications
really clutter up and fragment drives in a hurry (*ESPECIALLY* Mac OS X
-- it's a mess).  So let's say you get a 60 GB hard drive, you'd set up
a 10 or 20 GB partition for your system and applications, and a second
40 or 50 GB partition to use JUST for video.

Other World computing usually has decent prices, and they have
benchmarks for most of the drives they sell.  http://www.macsales.com/

2 cents.

- Mark