[MacDV] Re: Hard drive for iBook video editing

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Mon Mar 3 13:33:20 PST 2003

I think the problem with FireWire drives and DV cameras together on the
same bus is that DV transfer is a real-time event, and has very little
tolerance for latency.  Having multiple hard drives on the same
FireWire bus isn't a problem since just copying files does not
necessarily have to happen in real-time.  It's not so much sustained
transfer rate as general control latency and contention...

Make sense?

Maybe FireWire 800 has taken things like real-time transfer into
consideration and allowed extra headroom in the protocol for it.

If you're looking at getting a desktop for cheap, fast storage
capability, just get a used G4 on eBay or something.

- Mark