[MacDV] Re: Hard drive for iBook video editing

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Tue Mar 4 07:23:35 PST 2003

On Monday, March 3, 2003, at 08:29  PM, Craig Busch wrote:

> Those of you having success with firewire drives, has any of it been
> in OSX?

I've done video capture using iMovie on 3 different machines and
several different Firewire drives (all with Oxford 911 chip set, some
5400 some 7200 rpm). The machines are an iMac DV 400 MHz G3, a B/W G3
450 MHz and a dual 1 GHZ G4. I''ve also captured using iMovie2 in 9 and
X on all the machines except the G4, that has been OS X only.

The only system I've had trouble with is the B/W G3. That was primarily
due to iMovie not seeing the video device unless I turned things on in
the right order while singing the correct chant. There were also cases
where the 5400 rpm drives couldn't keep up with video capture on the
B/W, but interestingly that was never an issue with the iMac and the
same drives. A couple notes to go with this, these problems were
encountered, IIRC, using OS X 10.0 and the first OS X native version of
iMovie. I haven't tested that system with the newer software. Also the
B/W G3 are supposedly notorious for their flakey Firewire support,
given that they were among the first to have it.

-Mike