[MacDV] Children Of Dune Annimation

Marcus Albers mjalbers at mchsi.com
Mon Mar 17 07:24:18 PST 2003

The primary visual effects house for both the original "Dune"
miniseries and "Children of Dune" is Area 51.  They've done effects for
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, the HBO miniseries "From the Earth to
the Moon", The X-Files.  They use Lightwave, but I have not been able
to discover on what platform.  Most shops use Lightwave on NT boxes
because you can find very high-end OpenGL cards for these boxes.
As a side note, all of the footage for Children of Dune was shot on
high-definition digital video.

On Sunday, March 16, 2003, at 09:22  PM, Thubten Kunga wrote:

> Just had to comment that the computer animation on Sci-Fi Channel's
> "Children Of DUNE" is amazing. Anyone of you DV Pros know who did it?
> It is so realistic and fantastic at the same time. Same goes for the
> Sci-Fi Channel's original "DUNE" mini-series. Simply amazing. Wonder
> if Macs were involved.

Marcus J. Albers
Musician, Animator, Film-buff, Video-geek,
Computer-superfreak, Videogame-aficionado extraordinaire