Stupid Question?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sat Mar 22 21:55:39 PST 2003

> From: "BigScanner.com" <terry at bigscanner.com>
>
> Newbie - sorry if this is a dumb question...
>
> I would like to take some old video tapes and convert them to DVD.
> The videos are about 90 minutes each.
>
> What (low cost) equipment and software do I need to do this
> successfully
> with?
>
> Mac G4 with Superdrive

If you already have the Superdrive iMac, then all you need is a way to
convert your (presumably analog/VHS) tapes into digital format.

There are several tools to help you do that, but all of them cost
roughly $250-300 and up. The only way I know of to get around this is
to find a digital video camera with a feature called "analog
pass-through" and either buy it (for use in the future) or borrow it
from someone.

_Chas_

"That the PC world would doggedly stick to a dull, unimaginative,
clinical term like 'IEEE 1394' (notice how it just rolls off the tongue
- NOT) for the sole purpose of *saving a few pennies* over using an
imaginative, exciting, visually-stimulating term like 'FireWire' tells
you EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW about the PC world and that whole
industry-wide mindset." - Me, March 2003