A Lighting Question

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Fri May 2 10:46:11 PDT 2003

Not Mac specific- just a general question on shooting video, upon which
some of you may be able to shed some "light."

Yesterday, I was shooting video of a musician. One performer on stage-
playing a very shiny new guitar. I set up a consumer-type DV camcorder
on a tripod, about 10 feet in front of (and slightly to the left of)
the musician. This camera remained stationary to record the master shot
and the master audio. I used another camera to move around the room and
shoot different angles.

The main lighting came from two fairly bright spotlights hanging from
the ceiling (roughly directly above the camera position) which lit the
performer uniformly on both sides. When I started capturing the video
from the tripod mounted camera, I noticed the picture was fluctuating
between correct exposure and slightly too dark- seemingly a random
intervals. After watching carefully, I finally realized what was
happening. Every time the guitar reflected one of the spots. the glare
would force the camera to adjust it's exposure setting. When the guitar
moved- and the glare disappeared- the camera went back to the correct
exposure.

So far, I haven't come up with any bright ideas to counter this kind of
problem. Anybody care to venture a solution?

Thanks,
Steve Robertson