Party Video

DBAFeldman at aol.com DBAFeldman at aol.com
Sat May 3 09:24:33 PDT 2003

I could use some suggestions.

My son has been asked to video a Bar Mizvah reception of about 250 people
with dinner, dancing and DJ. It will be in a ballroom with generally dimmed
lighting and they will have some sort of light and sound system for the DJ.
He plans to use a Sony TRV900 with a Canon consumer camcorder as a back up.
He is well known for his creatively edited videos(documentaries, school
events and projects) in iMovie and Premiere, but they are quite different
than a party.

The questions:
1. What microphones would be recommended? I assume it should be wireless. He
is planning on getting individuals comments on tape. Maybe an antecdotal
story or two. And there are the speeches or toasts to consider. Should he
have a lapel type and a hand held?

2. What kind of light should he have? Would one of the basic Sony lights be
sufficient?

3. Is a tripod on a dolly important?

Cost is a consideration, but the equipment can probably be useful in the
future. It is not a real tight budget. Would renting make more sense? That
is, if we can find equipment to rent in the greater Detroit area.

Your suggeations are appreciated, thanks in advance.

Jamie