If It Ain't One Thing, It's Another!

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Wed May 7 11:36:20 PDT 2003

I'm working on some footage of a musical performance using two
camcorders- one on a tripod and one shooting alternate angles. If I was
only planning to burn a DVD, I don't think I would have this problem.
But I want to also export QuickTime movies of each song in both CD-R
quality and Web quality. The spots where I paste an alternate angle
contains audio from both camcorders. Since QuickTime currently throws
out all the audio volume edits, I had to devise a workaround.

First, I edit the clips together. Then I export a full DV quality
QuickTime movie. Then I use QT Pro to extract the video track. Next, I
import the video-only QT movie and put it on the timeline. Then I go to
the original clip of the entire song from the tripod camcorder, extract
the audio and drag it into iTunes. Then back to the timeline, where I
drag the audio below the video-only clip, and sync the two. So far, so
good.

Twice now, I have gone through this process and exported the finished
video to QuickTime. The CD-R quality version looks and sounds great.
The Web version loses sync between the audio and video. These are
typical length songs- about four or five minutes. Anybody else
encountered this problem? Are there other codecs that might work better
than just choosing "Export to QuickTime- Web Quality" from within
iMovie?

Thanks,
Steve R.