iMovie Camcorder Export Woes

David Thrasher idave at earthlink.net
Wed May 7 14:33:57 PDT 2003

A little update:

I looked in Apple Support in the discussion groups and found some information regarding getting choppy audio when exporting to the camcorder with longer movies in iMovie 2. Apparently this was a big problem that generated a thread of about 200 messages.

The message I read had these 2 solutions:

Use iMovie 1 to export the movie to the camcorder. The message said that this worked for everyone who tried it. The only problem that came up was it not understanding projects from iMovie 2 that used features it didn't have. The message mentioned that there were workarounds for that. I'd assume that it would mean exporting your project as a full quality quicktime movie, converting it to a DV file with Quicktime Pro and importing it into iMovie 1 and exporting from there.

The other solution was to get some shareware software called "BtvPro" and using that to export it via a DV file created with Quicktime Pro (full workflow in the above paragraph).

I've got no idea where I could get a copy of iMovie 1 (Apple no longer has it on their site) so I've downloaded BtvPro and am going to try that (it has a free 30 day trial period).

I'll try to report the results once I've used it and the website to get it, if anyone else is interested in it as well. I'll also go through some production notes about my little show in case the information is useful.

-Dave

David Thrasher
5631 Ovid Avenue
Des Moines, Iowa 50310