[MacDV] Re: Quicktime problem

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Wed May 7 20:25:18 PDT 2003

On 5/7/03 7:16 PM, "Robert Schoenburg" <rschoenburg at schoenburg.com> wrote:

> I will try again. Thanks Mark. I did try something like that with no luck.
> Interesting that Netscape and Safari open it with no problem.

Do you mean Netscape and Safari open the movie if you drag it into a browser
window when the movie is on your hard drive?  That should work fine, since
your computer knows what kind of file it is and is able to call on the
QuickTime plugin to handle it.  But a web server has to know a file-type
(MIME) mapping for a ".mov" file (video/quicktime), and if it's not
programmed in the server, it will spit back the generic binary format
"application/octet-stream", which can cause problems in some situations (as
you've seen for yourself).

Hope that helps some more.  ;-)

- Mark