Woe and consternation

Mac McMahon suncanyonranch at msn.com
Sat May 10 23:49:29 PDT 2003

Hello ,

I¹m a newbie with DVD  . I¹ve been using a Mac since 1985 and I also have a
PC . I recently bought a 800 MHz   imac , and since I already had purchased
a LaCie  DVD ­RW drive I figured I wouldn¹t need a super drive (dumb move ).
I got ³Capty DVD² with the LaCie Drive  and find it confusing, the
documentation seems to have been written in Japanese and translated to
English  . I did finally manage to compile a video ­ ts file which I burned
with toast titanium  but when I attempt to play it nothing happens , I tried
it with the Apple DVD player , with my home DVD player (Emerson) I was using
some media I bought at Circuit City ,
Maxell DVD-R   I also tried a couple of Fuji DVD-RW discs all to no avail .
Is there a fool proof media combination out there? I¹m trying to do training
videos for horsemanship , and thought providing the trainee with a DVD
rather than a VHS tape would be a nice touch . This is all doubly
frustrating to me since I¹m used to Mac and it¹s ease of use . I then
figured that perhaps the learning curve was too steep ( I have other things
to do also) I tried down loading ³Media Pipe² and if I thought Capty DVD was
confusing ..... Well I¹m a quick study  ordinarily , but I need a bit more
learning to tackle that one . Then I thought , well perhaps the technology
will evolve a bit more and in the mean time I can take my videos with my JVC
mini dv recorder , import them to imovie , edit , and then export through a
³Hollywood Dazzle bridge I bought, to a VCR and provide edited VHS tapes . I
got the Dazzle bridge the other day and I was very excited to do just that .
I hooked everything up and tried to export ....and got a message stating
that my ³camera is a different video standard from imovie  ³ and I could not
export to it ..... I need some help , if nothing else , a shoulder to cry on
would be nice , even better some leading around by the hand  would be swell
too.

Dennis   ³Mac² McMahon

The fact that I live in a remote area doesn¹t help much , the nearest Mac
group is 160 miles from here.