[MacDV] Screenplays

doug lauber dugster77 at earthlink.net
Sun May 11 19:10:26 PDT 2003

digitalx169 at mac.com wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Anyone out there write screenplays for DV? I am just wondering because I
> am starting to write one but am wondering do people generally include
> camera angles and shots as part of the main script or iis it you are
> suppose to write a seperate shooting script? I would kinda like ot know
> as it seems very confusing as there are so many styles ou there.
>
> Chris

First of all, you have to tell me what the purpose of the
script is. If you want to complete a screenplay for the eyes
of a pro reader, agent, producer, or director, then you'll want
to conform to strict screenwriting format guidelines.

If you are writing just for your own purposes, to have a blueprint
for your own DV production, the formatting can be less rigid.

I recently wrote a short script (20 pages) that I'm currently producing
and directing as a short DV video. The finished script was written in standard
screenwriting format. Then, just for my own purposes, I changed
that script, by breaking it down into camera shots, with added
space in between dialogue and scene headings, so that I can
write notes about the shots.

What is the purpose of your screenplay?

Have you studied story structure and screenwriting?

ie  Story Sense by Paul Lucey.   -doug