[MacDV] anyone using a DVD-Recorder?

Alan Cawson alan_cawson at illustraresearch.com
Sun May 11 23:23:40 PDT 2003

 e behme asked:

1) Is it possible to generate an opening menu screen, complete with
still image and a menu-button for the movie to start? The literature
I have read doesn't really mention how/if this is possible. If not,
what does the opening screen look like?

Jim has already covered this.

2) Can you open the completed DVD-R, extract the AUDIO_TS and
VIDEO_TS folders and duplicate the DVD with Toast?

Yes.  The max file size is 4.7 GB so you can also use the Copy function
with Toast.

3) I assume the recorder is based on hardware mpeg2 conversion. Could
one extract those mpeg2 files and use them in other aspects of a
project?

Not directly but you can use DVD ripper software to get at the mpegs.  I
have tried some but they are alpha or beta versions and endanger my
machine!

If anyone has used stable dvd rippers please respond.

Alan