New Cameras and iMovie/FCE

Steve Robertson stever at mindspring.com
Mon May 12 04:53:51 PDT 2003

I've been doing some shopping lately to see if I can find a good deal
on a used or refurbished 3CCD camcorder. Before starting, I went to the
Apple site to look at the list of cameras supported by iMovie. I
noticed that the Sony DCR-TRV900 is listed, but the TRV950 is not. The
same is true of the list of cameras supported by FCE.

It seems like the control codes on all the high end Sony cameras would
be nearly identical. Do you think this omission of the newest model
just means they haven't had time to test it? Or is there some
possibility that iMovie and FCE would not work at all when trying to
import from a TRV950?

The TRV900s are attracting so many bidders on eBay that they sell for
almost as much as a new TRV950. And the digital camcorder section on
eBay is a favorite of fraudulent sellers. Anyone know of good sources
for used or refurbished high end camcorders?

Steve R.