[MacDV] Re: Formats...

Jon Blumhagen jblumhagen at zionshope.org
Mon May 12 07:38:32 PDT 2003

>> If I render using no compression and then burn it onto
>> a DVD would that run ok? Without the throughput problems the computer
>> has?
>
> That would run , not as good.

Not sure I understand this. DV itself is already a compressed format (1:5)
done right in the camera itself. I rendered a couple a 7-minute, 10-layer,
several motion/transparency filters applied, Mother's Day tribute in
Premiere this past week.

I rendered the file two ways, using the regular default DV/NTSC codec, or
the Sorensen 3 codec (audio uncompressed for both)(720x480). The Sorensen 3
took about 4 hours to render, the DV/NTSC about 3 hours. The Sorensen file
QT file was about 1.5 gig, and the DV/NTSC QT file was about 1.3 gig.

Then created a DVD from each file in iDVD3, and both burned no problem on my
466-G4 (yeah, I did have to manually install the drive, but this G4 is a
133-bus inside, and I've had really no problems in almost 2 years). Remember
that when you're creating a DVD, you're also applying more compression
(MPEG-2, as opposed to a VCD which is MPEG-1, which is a much deeper
compression).

The quality of both DVDs was excellent, with maybe a slight nod to the
improved DV/NTSC codec in Premiere 6.5.

I not sure I understand the "run not as good", though. Are you saying that
if the original DV-compressed shoot is rendered without a codec and then
burned to a DVD, it will have problems running on a standalone player?

jb