[MacDV] Format... long reply

Matthew Guemple mo.og at verizon.net
Mon May 12 07:49:06 PDT 2003

Chris:
There are all kinds of ways to go about this. If you are looking for a
producer... ie executive producer meaning someone that will put up the
money, you may just want to do a treatment first to see if there is any
interest at all in the project. It will also help keep you on track
when/if you do decide to go ahead and write the screenplay.

You could also shoot a short or low budget version of it yourself and
then use that to sell the idea for a big money feature. Christopher
Nolan is a good example in this regard. If you look at his first film
(his film school thesis) "Following", you can see a lot of the themes
that eventually turn into Memento. But you'd have to write the whole
screenplay to do that.

If your interest is really just directing and you don't desperately
crave the "auteur" moniker... ala Christopher Nolan, maybe you should
find something already written... a book, a play whatever and then get
a screenwriter or producer to develop it with you once you have secured
the rights to it. That way you can get to the meat of the matter and
you have the added carrot of bringing a new property to a producer.

The whole thing is a rather daunting endeavor on par with writing a
novel... I'm sure you know that by now. There are tons of books, and
twice as many opinions about how one should go about it. I know a lot
of people that have spent literally years working on one script. I know
others that have spent weeks. Some sell, some don't. It's a crazy,
senseless business, based on connections, reputation, whims (both those
of the producers -and their psychic abilities when anticipating the
fickle tastes of the marketplace - and more importantly on the fickle
taste of the consumer) and in most cases sheer luck.

But if you've really got it into your head that you want to write a
screenplay check these out:
http://library.thinkquest.org/10015/data/info/reference/production/pre-
production/screenplay.html

http://www.hollywoodnet.com/Nelson/columns/treatments.html

http://members.tripod.com/~e-luttrell0/story.html

http://www.filmmakers.com/features/screenwriting/treatment.htm

For a quick taste... then figure out which way you want to go. All of
my friends who write screenplays say the "software" is a waste of
money. Just set the format up in Word, - you can probably find one on
the web - and get a decent book that tells you what page which plot
point should happen and then start writing.

I'll tell you though. Learning how to write screenplays (and actually
doing it)  is as much work as learning how to directing, or will
require the same "front end" learning curve.

What is most important is whether or not you have a story. The format
is just that, a format, but the most important thing is the story.

Personally I'd probably just concentrate on one or the other...

> The screenplay is a work of fiction that I am writing with the intent
> of myself Directing. I have studied and am learning the proper
> screenplay format as I eventually will need to find a Producer and DP.
>
> Any more tips you can give me?
>
> Chris

Matthew Guemple
Art Director/03
mo.og at verizon.net
646.734.6601
www.gridd.com
http://www.creativehotlist.com/
index.asp?linkTarget=fullProfile.asp&indID=19599