[MacDV] Format

doug lauber dugster77 at earthlink.net
Mon May 12 10:36:51 PDT 2003

digitalx169 at mac.com wrote:

> Doug,
>
> The screenplay is a work of fiction that I am writing with the intent of
> myself Directing. I have studied and am learning the proper screenplay
> format as I eventually will need to find a Producer and DP.

> Any more tips you can give me?
>
> Chris

I almost didn't see this post. Different 'subject' line.

Here's a great website. It has a section about formatting:
http://www.communicator.com/faqs.html

There's also the misc.writing.screenplays newsgroup.

When it comes to writing scripts, I strongly recommend
studying story structure, characterization, and dialogue.
For learning about dialogue, listen to the way people
speak in your life. Notice how sentences are broken,
incomplete, and how people do not speak too
directly. There is often a lot implied between the lines.
Also, there's the basic rule that you should 'show, not
tell' whenever possible. Instead of a character saying,
'You've really pissed me off!', you have him slam his hand
on the table and scowl.

There is nothing more rewarding than capturing
a couple of actors on videotape, who are speaking
your written dialogue. And if it doesn't sound
natural, then you get to work to fix it.

If I were you, I'd start with very short stories, to
learn about what works and what doesn't.
You can write feature length too, but for video I'd
start with short forms.  -doug