[MacDV] Re: No screenwriting software

Matthew Guemple mo.og at verizon.net
Mon May 12 19:12:32 PDT 2003

Come on guys... he hasn't written a word yet.
Write the story, then worry about breakdowns and all that junk.
Just pound it out on a typewriter and get people to read it... then
rewrite it, then rewrite it, then rewrite it, then rewrite it, then
rewrite it, then rewrite it. Don't get me wrong I'm not putting the
software down, it's great but only really useful when you have
something that resembles a story that could possibly make a decent
script...!

That's why I suggested starting out with a treatment. How many times
have you had a great idea for a film... and then started to put it on
paper and realized that it's only funny when you're stoned... or
whatever. For me many, many, times... though not the stoned anymore...
:(

I'm going to send him a basic Word format thing. Once he's actually
written it gotten feedback, rehearsed it with some actors so the
dialogue does not sound stiff and weird, had a DP or producer make
their comments.... THEN buy the software and start really polishing the
beast. Otherwise you are just putting lipstick on what could turn out
to be a pig.

STORY STORY STORY... get that first.

That's all I'm saying...

On Monday, May 12, 2003, at 09:57 PM, Illovox Media wrote:

> You guys do not know what you are talking about.  A program like final
> draft
> does many things no Word program will do, like create spot breakdowns
> of
> which scenes a character appears in, along with scene descriptions, so
> you
> can track a character's arc, like transform note cards into scene
> outlines
> and vice versa, like count locations, etc, etc,  Final Draft is one of
> the
> most wisely and widely used programs, and it's worth the $150 just to
> save
> the time creating all those Macros Word makes it so blamed difficult
> to do
> in the first place...
>
> on 5/12/03 6:40 PM, digitalx169 at mac.com at digitalx169 at mac.com wrote:
>
>> Matthew,
>>
>> a very good point. I do agree. I do not plan to buy Screenwriting
>> software. I plan just to learn liek the pros do and format it myself
>> in
>> a Word Processor.
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> ----------
>> <http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/MacDV.html>.
>> Send a message to <MacDV-DIGEST at themacintoshguy.com> to switch to the
>> digest
>> version.
>>
>> XRouter | Share your DSL or cable modem between multiple computers!
>> Dr. Bott | Now $139.99      <http://www.drbott.com/prod/xrouter.html>
>>
>> Cyberian   | Support this list when you buy at Outpost.com!
>> Outpost    |         http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml
>>
>> MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only
>> $879!
>> Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS! <http://www.macresq.com>
>

> ----------
> digest version.

> $879!

Matthew Guemple
Art Director/03
mo.og at verizon.net
646.734.6601
www.gridd.com
http://www.creativehotlist.com/
index.asp?linkTarget=fullProfile.asp&indID=19599