Format screenplay

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Mon May 12 21:34:19 PDT 2003

> From: doug lauber <dugster77 at earthlink.net>
> When it comes to writing scripts, I strongly recommend
> studying story structure, characterization, and dialogue.
> For learning about dialogue, listen to the way people
> speak in your life.

As someone who has written two screenplays -- and sold both of them --
I wanted to echo the above.

> Also, there's the basic rule that you should 'show, not
> tell' whenever possible. Instead of a character saying,
> 'You've really pissed me off!', you have him slam his hand
> on the table and scowl.
>
> There is nothing more rewarding than capturing
> a couple of actors on videotape, who are speaking
> your written dialogue. And if it doesn't sound
> natural, then you get to work to fix it.

All good advice, let me just add the following:

1. There are a couple of good magazines on the subject. Creative
Screenwriting is one, MovieMaker is another. I recommend them both
(Writer's Digest probably wouldn't hurt either -- they occasionally do
"special issues" devoted to screenplays).

2. Contrary to what someone else posted, IMHO doing screenplays in MS
Word is a *huge* waste of time. Yes you can do it -- but you can also
do your own engine remounts if you have the time and willingness to
become technically proficient. Good screenwriting programs run about
$200 -- how many hours of your time will having something like Final
Draft AV save over trying to make Word do something it was never
intended to do? What's your hourly rate? All factors to juggle. If
you're already a master of formatting in Word, why change? But if you
really want to focus on the work, I'd suggest you at least try out/look
at the current offerings, read reviews and decide if you need the help.

_Chas_

"The Box said 'Windows 95 or better' ... so I got a Macintosh."