[MacDV] Re: No screenwriting software

Illovox Media illovox at oz.net
Tue May 13 02:10:57 PDT 2003

on 5/12/03 10:20 PM, Matthew Guemple at mo.og at version.net wrote:

> Last weigh in on this tread. digitalX169 is not a pro...
>
>>> I plan just to learn like the pros do and format it myself in
>>> a Word Processor.

Like a pro...so write the treatment in word, but move to a drafting program
to make life easier when it is time to format

> A very good point "I'd suggest you at least try out/look at the current
> offerings, read reviews and DECIDE IF you need the help." emphasis mine.

Oy.

> For those who write regularly, a 24p rental is useless without a
> script, and a script that comes out smoothly is a godsend
> Illovox
>
> "for those who write regularly" being a key phrase here.

Well given how earlier you admonished the endless rewriting, and correctly,
ANYONE setting down to write better get used to writing regularly or if not,
disappointment...;)

> Just for the record I clearly hear what Chas and Illovox are saying,
> and absolutely agree... when you get to the point where you actually
> have a screenplay to write. Sitting down with your tasty new software
> and typing "It was a dark and stormy night..." essentially makes the
> formatting meaningless... Just write and the rest will come when it's
> needed. If you want to write like the pros, just write.

In my experience, just getting the damn log line takes incredible time and
skill.  You really have to know your story and character to distill it down
to three sentences.  And true, Final Draft doesn't help glean that skill.
BUT, mention the word formatting, and suddenly something like Final Draft is
relevant.  If you're going to format, use a tool designed for just that, in
your budget.  Remember the first time you committed to stretching your
budget for the right tool?  And the commitment to yours self that implied?
That's what I'm sayin'...