Do not have cash to blow:(

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue May 13 15:30:14 PDT 2003

> From: digitalx169 at mac.com
> Did it not occur to you we do not all have the pro tools not the pocket
> book to go with it?

If you don't have the money to do a project correctly, why bother?

>  Just like someone said the other day they would
> rather save the money on Screenwriting software and rent a 24p camera.
> very sensible way of thinking (IMO)

Um ... does it not occur to you that whether you are spending money on
a 24p camera *or* buying screenwriting software, you are still SPENDING
THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY? So how does choosing one or the other *save*
you any money exactly?

Besides, it's all a question of value. That $200 or so will buy you ONE
DAY'S use of a 24p camera or a LIFETIME of use of the scripting
software. NOW which is the better idea? Again, depends on what you are
doing. If you scrimp on the screenwriting software, your script may
never be read, so your need for a camera is moot. If you rent the
camera but nobody can follow your poorly-written script, you end up
with garbage.

>  I just purchased adobe Premiere 6.5 for Mac OS X.

Oops. No comment.

>  I will need now
> to think about what miniDV camera to get (thinking of a Sony TRV-19). I
> have a wife and a son and another little one on the way so I have
> limited monies to spend on my gear. It will take me longer 'yes' to
> write this screenplay out the old fashioned way but nothing comes
> without hard work.

I don't know your situation, but I can say this: if it's worth doing,
it's worth doing well. Obviously you are the only one who can decide
what thing to buy when, but if you're going to do this on a serious
level, you need to be willing to spend some bucks and get the
right/best tools for the job. It all depends on what exactly you are
shooting, of course, but I've yet to see anybody who went "cheap"
everywhere they could do very well in the business.

_Chas_
"We don't want to be like Windows. We want to do everything better. We
are intent on creating the greatest computers and the best computing
experience in the world. And we are the only ones who can say that with
a straight face." -- Greg Joswiak, Apple VP of hardware product
marketing