[MacDV] Re: Do not have cash to blow:(

Gerhard Kuhn suspice at hay.net
Tue May 13 18:09:30 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 13, 2003, at 06:30  PM, Charles Martin wrote:

> If you don't have the money to do a project correctly, why bother?
If Steve Jobs saw the way you work, with what you work he might also
say why bother and jump in a lake.

> Um ... does it not occur to you that whether you are spending money on
> a 24p camera *or* buying screenwriting software, you are still
> SPENDING THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY? So how does choosing one or the
> other *save* you any money exactly?
As far as I remember you can only spend a dollar once so you need to
make choices, I'll have this, I'll do with out that.  That is the way
the world works for most of us other wise we would all be driving
$100,000 cars and living in $1,000,000 houses.

> I don't know your situation, but I can say this: if it's worth doing,
> it's worth doing well. Obviously you are the only one who can decide
> what thing to buy when, but if you're going to do this on a serious
> level, you need to be willing to spend some bucks and get the
> right/best tools for the job. It all depends on what exactly you are
> shooting, of course, but I've yet to see anybody who went "cheap"
> everywhere they could do very well in the business.

I remember this movie that followed none of your advice had no budget
and the script if there was one was probably written on a used napkin.
This was the Blair Witch Project most people considered it a successful
project.  The road to success takes many turns, improvisation is one
the most interesting twists.  I would encourage the guy with ideas and
a notepad over some stale fart with all the latest gadgets.

Keep on writing

Gerhard