970 Is Shipping

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Tue May 13 20:28:59 PDT 2003

> Subject: [MacDV] 970 Is Shipping
> From: Kunga <Kunga at FutureMedia.org>
>
> Looks like IBM's East Fishkill NY plant is turning out 970's way sooner
> than they had hoped it would last Fall. 15" PowerBooks are definitely
> getting 970's real soon. Towers are not far behind. I believe Steve
> will be in a gushing mood in San Francisco next month.
>
> <http://www.looprumors.com/>

1. This is not a fact. It's a rumour. Kunga, I thought you said you
were going to behave better on this.
2. It's not confirmed by ANY non-rumour sites at this point.
3. LoopRumors has a fairly bad track record (like most rumours sites)
on date accuracy. Incidentally, LoopRumors doesn't say ANYTHING about
15" Powerbooks; that part is pure Kunga invention (again).
4. Traditionally, new chips from any manufacturer are much more
expensive than currently-available chips. I've not seen ANY reports
that deal with how much these chips will *cost.*

The following is speculation on my part:
There is NO FRICKIN' WAY these chips are going to debut in laptops. NO
WAY. First of all, the 970 isn't designed for portables. Second, why
would only the MIDDLE of the line Powerbook have a chip rated twice as
fast as the one in the top and bottom of the line? Makes NO sense.

If Apple's going to use them at all, they will debut in the towers,
which we know for a FACT are being revamped/redesigned for later this
year (Fred Anderson said so during an analysts' conference call).

_Chas_

"That the PC world would doggedly stick to a dull, unimaginative,
clinical term like 'IEEE 1394' (notice how it just rolls off the tongue
- NOT) for the sole purpose of *saving a few pennies* over using an
imaginative, exciting, visually-stimulating term like 'FireWire' tells
you EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW about the PC world and that whole
industry-wide mindset." - Me, March 2003