[MacDV] Re: Firewire HDD Experience

Gerhard Kuhn suspice at hay.net
Thu May 15 21:49:00 PDT 2003

I have 512 mg of ram and a 15" Superdrive 800  iMac 60 gig internal and
80 gig firewire drive.  I don't think the amount of ram would make a
great deal of difference while capturing because if it were to be a
buffer for a slow drive it would still run out no matter how much was
installed, it would just take a few seconds longer.    When copying
files from the internal to external drive it will copy the files faster
than the play time so simple through put is not the problem either.  I
think that this has more to do with how the firewire devices are
controlled by the iMac and how the band width is shared.  At least that
is my guess.

Gerhard Kuhn
suspice at hay.net