[MacDV] Re: Firewire HDD Experience

Andrew T. Lynch atlynch at mac.com
Fri May 16 09:02:49 PDT 2003

Matthew,

I used to use lots of partitions, one for 9, one for X, one for User,
one for scratch, etc.  Most of this was done to make backup easier.  I
ended up with a lot of wasted space this way. Each partition had to be
a little bigger than I thought it would ever need to be, and therefore
the space was not available for other purposes.  I now have 5 internal
drives (on a total of four computers) and 6 firewire drives, and use
one partition on each of them.  I've noticed no ill effects.  Backup is
not an issue, I use retrospect, and make retrospect subvolumes to
define the portions to be backed up.

The only reason I might use a separate partition these days would be if
I wanted to be able to boot from one partition to run disk warrior on
another, but I solve this by booting from another drive.

-Drew

On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 09:50  PM, Matthew Guemple wrote:

> Did anyone want to weigh in on suggested partitioning for a 120GHD?

- Andrew T. Lynch
- Chief Zymurgist/Manager US Technical Services
- Verisity Design Inc.
- (650)934-6875