OSX separate editing partition?

Gordon B. Alley galley at texas.net
Sun May 18 21:44:55 PDT 2003

Sun, 18 May 2003 10:57:12 -0500, "Mark M. Florida" <markflo at mac.com> wrote:
>Yeah, what Jim said.  There's really no way to turn off System Extensions in
>OS X, and there's also no need to -- OS X is smarter at managing memory and
>drivers.
>
>But yeah, a separate partition for storing your video capture and render
>files is definitely recommended.
>
>On 5/18/03 10:25 AM, "Jim Asherman" <jimash at optonline.net> wrote:
>
>>>  And is it still recommended to have a separate drive for capture?
>>
>>  A separate drive for capture and rendering however is extremely good to
>>  have.
>  > Jim

The closest you can get to "turning off extensions" in OS X, AFAIK,
is to log in while holding down the shift key (start holding it down
after typing the last character of the password but before hitting
the Return key). This keeps non-essential stuff associated with the
user from running at login (e.g., items in your Login Items System
Preferences).

I believing holding down the shift key during a restart will have the
same effect for non-essential processes that are global to all users.

I've gotten in the habit of logging in with the shift key before
capturing DV from my camcorder in iMovie.

--
Gordon Alley  <*>
<mailto:galley at texas.net>