[MacDV] How to play a PAL encoded DVD?

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Mon May 19 07:54:20 PDT 2003

> I'm in California and my region in DVD Player is set for North America.
> Does anyone know of a way to play a DVD intended for use in Britain?
> I want to buy "The Royle Family" but I  can't find it in anything but
> PAL  Region 2.  Any ideas?
> Thanks much-
> Donna

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe VLC would be able to play this:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Straight from their FAQ page:

"3.3.4. Does VLC support DVD from all regions?

VLC uses libdvdcss to read all DVD, disregarding their zone. All regions are
supported without any constraint. However, libdvdcss might not be legal in
your country."

So, unless Big Brother is watching, you should be fine...

Also, if this is going to be a regular thing, you might want to look into a
standalone player that supports multiple regions (or rather, disregards
region codes) -- check eBay.  (I have a GE [Apex hardware] and cheapie Apex
[w/firmware "upgrade"] that allow this -- haven't tried to actually play a
disc from a different region, though -- but the other "upgraded" features
work fine)  ;-)

Hope that helps.

- Mark