[MacDV] Re: Final Cut Express Comments please

Steve Kerney stevekerney at earthlink.net
Wed May 21 20:13:33 PDT 2003

> If you're new to DV editing, I'd say get your feet wet with iMovie and learn
> what editing is all about. Do a few small projects and you'll become a
> better videographer as well.
>
> Jim

Jim (and Company),

I'm "new to DV editing" and have an iMovie (2.0.3) question for you:

What iMovie 2 export settings can I use to improve the marginally acceptable
default "Full Quality, Large" results?

My original iMovie image looks like crisp 1024 x 768 resolution but my
exported QuickTime images, while the same size vertically as the original
are noticibly stretched horizontally and have a pathetic resolution that
looks like 640 x 480 (at best!).  (I'd attach screen shots but think the
list server will delete them).

My input source is a Sony TRV350.  My Mac is a 233 MHz Wallstreet II (Mac OS
9.2.2, 320 MB RAM, 1024x768 screen resolution, Thousands of colors with an
IEEE1394 CardBus I/F).  I've also got a 400 MHz iMac DV but remember seeing
similar pixilization when I was playing around with iMovie 2 it many moons
ago and imported pictures from a Kodak CD into iMovie and then exported into
QuickTime.  Images looked great in iMovie but suck big time in QuickTime.

I've ordered "iMovie 2: The Missing Manual" but it won't arrive until
month's end and I'm champing at the bit to get something worth seeing before
my families eyes.  Also, I'd rather not upgrade to Mac OS X (at least for a
while) but am considering FCE once I can pull 3 hundred together.  Til then,
any suggestions for my existing components?

Thanks.

Steve