[MacDV] Re: OT: InDesign

Dennis A. Amith nt2099 at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 21 21:36:21 PDT 2003

I'll contribute as well.

I do a lot of print work and switched to InDesign 2 when it became available
for OS X.  My decision to switch was because of the price (the Adobe Design
Collection for Photoshop 7, Illustrator 10, Acrobat 5 and InDesign 2 at the
time..), the good reviews it has gotten from many of the Mac magazines and
I'm glad I made the switch.

I have not had any problems with any printer facilities and service bureaus
because they know that competition is fierce in the printing industry and
you have to keep on top of the software.

But I also deal with a good print broker who has received good bids and when
he asks them if they have InDesign, those who don't own a licensed copy say
that they will order it immediately and they have.

I think the only printer companies that I've dealt with that have been old
school and still using old software are certain yellow page companies or mom
and pop companies with the vintage presses.

I remember posting an article on the InDesign ML and the ProDesign and
Prepress and Design ML regarding a MacAddict UK article on how 90% of Quark
owners they polled in the UK have switched to InDesign due to the switch of
a new OS.

I said the week before I purchased InDesign that once Quark releases a
native Quark for the Mac, I'll be getting it but I don't think I'll be doing
that anymore.  I'm quite content with InDesign, have opened Quark files from
other clients with InDesign which needed little tweaking but I've been quite
happy with it.

Nice to see other people enthusiastic about DV on here who are involved with
the print/graphic design industry.  Cool!

daa