[MacDV] Audio Questions

Jim Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Fri May 23 07:33:24 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 10:11  PM, David Thrasher wrote:

> I've been getting some nasty 60 cycle hum when recording sound with my
> camcorder on the set that I've built in my living room. I'm using
> external mics through an inexpensive Nady mic mixer which feeds to the
> camcorder. One of the mics, a Radio Shack lapel mics, seems especially
> prone to the hum. A few questions about this:
>
> I'm in an old house that was built in the 1920's and some of the wiring
> is old. Is it possible that some of this old wiring is unshielded and
> basically "broadcasting" 60 cycle hum and the mic cables are picking
> this up acting as antennas?
's possible.

> Are balanced mics (those that use 3 pin XLR connectors) less prone to
> picking up hum?

Yes they are

> Is there any way to shield my existing set up if it is the wiring. (It
> picks up even if the camera and mixer are running off battery power.) I
> thought of the crazy idea of putting aluminum foil against the likely
> walls with old wiring. Would this help?

You might do better to shield the nic wires.

> Another audio topic:
>
> I'd like to replace that cheap Nady mic mixer with something that can
> handle XLR connectors. I'm looking for something that can be run off of
> battery power if I'm away for AC power sources.
Tough requirement.
>  I'd also like to have pan controls so that I can place mic sources in
> their correct spatial orientation because of mixing to stereo and I'd
> like equalization controls. Also line inputs. I'm thinking 4 mic inputs
> and 2 stereo line inputs would be just about right.
>
> I've started to look around at mic mixers and this is what I've found
> so far: I can buy a new Behringer mixer for about $119 but I heard that
> they don't hold up.
They are not bad

>  I saw an Alesis mixer for about $160 that also included some onboard
> effects but unfortunately didn't look like it took batteries.
Alessis holds up no better than Beringer. And I don't like them.
Behringer is good for the price.

> I also saw a Peavey mixer for about $175 that had 6 mic inputs and
> could run off batteries (3- 9 volts -- 2 for the mixer and 1 for
> phantom power).
Qua;ity wise Peavey is as good as the other two. If it meeets your
reequirements at least it's cheap.

>  Does anyone know of any others I should be looking at? Faders aren't a
> big necessity for what I'm doing, do gain knobs would be just fine.
I have good luck with a battery operated Yamaha. But I don't know if
they still make such a thing.

Take a look at Nady . Mackie just started making "Tapco" mixers maybe
they have a battery one.
Jm