[MacDV] transfer film 2 video?

Mark M. Florida markflo at mac.com
Fri May 23 09:46:02 PDT 2003

> A local film store offers to transfer 8 & 16mm films to video--but only
> to VHS. Another transfer will be necessary to make the video digital.
> I'm concerned that this intermediate step may lose too much resolution,
> and would prefer a straight film-2-digital solution.
>
> Is that possible? Any good references in New Jersey or Manhattan? or on
> the web?

Huh.  Yeah, it will look like VHS video unless you go straight to a digital
format (miniDV/Digital8) -- VHS has about half the resolution of DV.  You'd
think that they'd be smart enough to figure out that they could take the
video that's going into the VHS deck and just route it to a DV deck or
camcorder...  Or if it's a VHS camera, route the video out of that into the
DV deck/camcorder -- then the weak link is the camera lens and circuitry.

- Mark