[MacDV] Re: transfer film 2 video?

Randy Wilson WilsonR at fonix.com
Fri May 23 16:41:43 PDT 2003

One service I've heard from is at:

  http://www.ahrensarchival.com/

They apparently scan each frame and assemble the movie digitally
instead of projecting the movie on a screen and try to use a camcorder
as a scanner.  I believe they charge $65-$100 per 400' reel (=about 20
minutes of film), depending on volume and how fast you need it, but
you'd have to ask them for your specific case.  For $65-$100 you can buy
a projector and then spend about $4 per two reels putting them on
miniDV, but then it's darker on the edges, etc., so it depends on how
much it's worth to you to have it "done right".  The cheap way was
plenty good for us to be able to see how cute we all were when we were
learning to walk.  It wasn't quite good enough to see how vibrant the
tulips were at the National Arboretum, however.  I haven't personally
seen the output from the above vendor, so I can't attest to a
side-by-side comparison.

--Randy Wilson

<http://www.drbott.com/prod/xrouter.html>

$879!
> Norton AntiVirus 6 Only $19! We Stock PARTS!
<http://www.macresq.com>

<http://www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/MacDV.html>.
Send a message to <MacDV-DIGEST at themacintoshguy.com> to switch to the
digest version.

 XRouter | Share your DSL or cable modem between multiple computers!
Dr. Bott | Now $139.99      <http://www.drbott.com/prod/xrouter.html>

   Cyberian   | Support this list when you buy at Outpost.com!
   Outpost    |         http://www.themacintoshguy.com/outpost.shtml

MacResQ Specials: LaCie SCSI CDR From $99! PowerBook 3400/200 Only
$879!