[MacDV] Re: DV - FW pinouts

Peter Tattersall ptatters at zerobyzero.ca
Sat May 24 13:46:18 PDT 2003

On Saturday, May 24, 2003, at 11:26  AM, Frank Farwell wrote:

> Peter
> Ok this is what going on now that ive tried many things.
>
> my Sony TRV-103 camcorder has worked fine with iMovie for that past 3
> years now it is not recognized. So i tried it on my powerbook iMovie
> doesn't recognize on it either. So i presume the FW port is bad on the
> camcorder (i tried another camcorder and it worked fine). But then i
> put the camcorder on a phillips DVD recorder w/ FW port it works fine.
> Now then i installed iMovie on an iMac with OS9 (OSX on the others)
> iMovie recognizes and works with the camcorder fine. So now im lost.
> Ive deleted preferences, run repair permissions, ran disk warrior.
> iMovie still doesnt recognize the camcorder. But it worked fine just 2
> days ago. Im lost.
>
> technology can sure be a pain when it doesnt work right.
>
> frank

Despite the way it may have sounded, I'm not a hardware person - I
write software for a living. However, I can come up with a hardware
scenario which would result in the behaviour you describe. The thing
with the firewire design as I understand it is that the data is sent on
one line and the other line acts as a clock to validate the signal for
high speed transfers. I would expect that if the control electronics
are just slightly out of spec on each end that you could wind up with
two units which don't recognise each other but do recognise other units
- the situation you describe. As the hardware ages the tolerances may
drift slightly so that the units were just inside each other's range
may have drifted out. Probably the only way to confirm that would be to
put a scope on the signal lines and check the timing and voltages.

You have presumably tried such things as shutting the system down for
an hour or so before restarting so as to check for thermal effects?
Reviewed any recent software installs? I seem to recall that there were
problems reported a while back where upgrading the system resulted in
loss of firewire connectivity, but a Google search didn't turn up
anything (but that could be a problem with getting the right search
terms). If you've tried the obvious things, you're out past my
experience (jiggling the connections and mumbling under your breath
sometimes works, but it's not reliable).