[MacDV] Re: iTunes 4 Ripping Speed Feedback

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Tue May 27 08:46:22 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 09:09  AM, William Hofius wrote:

> The real question would be, why hasn't Apple designed the ACC encoder
> to be "optimized" for dual processors. That question should probably
> be expanded to QuickTime itself, or all of Apple's digital media
> applications that need to encode data.

I agree, but the first question that comes to my mind is wether or not
the compression process can be broken into parallel operations. I don't
know any of the particulars for the compression schemes in question,
but for some schemes it can be a linear process, you can't fork it into
two parallel processes.

The other question is how much of an advantage do you gain by breaking
it into parallel processes? Again, without knowing the particulars of
the compression scheme, its impossible for me to say (maybe someone
else knows).

Before I start sounding too much like an Apple apologist, I'd have to
say I would be as happy as anyone if I could be utilizing both
processors in my Mac to their fullest potential when exporting to
various QuickTime formats.

-Mike