bright faces

RichGB rgb at ellerbach.com
Tue May 27 13:57:14 PDT 2003

On [2003-May-27]  Charles Martin <chasm at mac.com> wrote:
> >From: SkylnPrntg at aol.com
> >
> >I'm going to be filming a kids musical this weekend. In the past we
> >have
> >filmed the kids on stage and the lighting has blown the faces out to
> >white. What
> >is the best way to keep the faces when filming with a mini DV camera?
>
> Manually reset the white balance. Read the camera's manual to find out
> how to do this.

White balance != exposure control

Adjusting the white balance changes the colour balance it doesn't change the
exposure values. You want to manually adjust the exposure to give a good
rendition of the faces and then lock these exposure settings down (assuming
your camera will let you do this). The consequence of this could be that many
other parts of the scenes will be poorly exposed.

Rich