Canon XL1 Nightmare

Richard Brown richard at go2rba.com
Tue May 27 18:52:53 PDT 2003

Hello all,

I have a uniquely terrible problem which has arrived at my facility.
About 50 Mini DV tapes representing 3 years of preproduction, and 3
months of shooting, of a Canon XL1 shot feature film production.

Now, the problems...

1) Massive audio dropouts, up to a full tape at a time. The "spikes" of
audio which are audible are on the order of milliseconds, not long
enough to hear a single word.

2) Mosaic video dropouts, visually looking to be keyed to motion,
either of camera or of talent. This can be merely a sprinkling of non
regular groups of pixels or huge amounts of mosaic noise, again, keyed
apparently to any form of motion. It defies the "dirty head" issue as
on the same tape, there may be a section which is fine, with bad in
front and behind it.

3) The problem increases continuously over time from the beginning of
the shoot to the end of the shoot. The latter tapes seem wholly
unusable, with the earliest tapes showing fewer problems, but not
without problems.  Still, dirty heads make more sense in that the last
tapes are essentially full time bad. The video NEVER goes out, simply
the mosaic distortion mounts.

This is the second time I've encountered nightmarishly bad video/audio
from the XL1, the first time being a network show which ran by in the
middle of the night for us to check out a bad XL1 tape (they couldn't
read it, and neither could I, but the actual XL1 which shot the tape
played the same tape back fine.)

Some of the early footage utilizing the on-camera mic shows good video
and audio (NOT ALL, I've seen plenty of bad on-camera mic as well), but
I hear from the director there was an outboard mixer with a pro shotgun
mic for many of the scenes which fall apart... Thus I wonder about
XL1's with Hi-Z / Low-Z mismatches as well on how, in this situation,
they misbehave.  Suggesting there was no impedance mismatch, work tapes
in VHS were struck at the time of shooting from the XL1 outputs
featuring good video and audio.

Also, the film was lit with HMI.

So my questions:

Anyone had these problems and fixed them? From the network issue, I
understand XL1's can get finicky, only able to play back their own
tapes (and vice-versa) when in odd calibration. Is there a work-around?
"Digital tracking?" -- which is to say both XL1's and Sony PD150's are
nothing but a mess of tiny analog trim pots under their covers.

Will audio impedance problems destroy video and audio as recorded but
output normally through the video and audio outs on the XL1?

Will HMI ballasts and their frequencies destroy XL1 shooting?

Compounding our problem, the pro shooter with the XL1 in question just
sent it for full maintenance, thus ending possibility of running the
tapes through the shooting camera, UNLESS Canon allows the camera to
stay in its state of  mis-calibration, assuming it would otherwise deny
playback of existing tapes.

Stuck between a huge rock and an expansive, EXPENSIVE hard place...
S.O.S.!

Richard Brown