[MacDV] Canon XL1 Nightmare

Jo C. Ray jocray at cox-internet.com
Wed May 28 04:21:14 PDT 2003

I teach Tv in a high school.  90 kids are using 3 GL-1s, one XL-1, a couple
of Panasonic EZ30s and two of the latest panasonic EZ (50"s?).  All 3 chip
mini-dv cameras.  I've had pixel and tracking problems since the first year.
(3 years ago for the canons.)  I've sent them back to factory to be
readjusted, etc.  Here are a few things I've discovered:
(1)  Breaking the control track by turning the camera on and off during the
same shoot causes pixel/tracking problems.  Leave the camera on if possible
for all the same shoot.

(2)  Do NOT take the tape out of the camera until you have captured the
video to the computer.

This pretty much eliminates that problem.  Trying to replay a tape which has
been out of the camera for any period of time is RISKY.

NOW, I will say that I haven't had the problem with the panasonics.  (There
are other things I don't like about them.)

(3)  Can't usually play tapes successfully recorded in one camera and played
in another.

Canon is always **puzzled** when I call them about theproblem--as if I'm the
only one in the world to have pixel troubles.

BOTTOM LINE:  Don't try to store anything important on mini-dv tape.